Tuesday, May 1, 2012

2011 Free Comic Book Day video:

In honor of Free Comic Book Day this coming weekend (For those of you who don't know, most comic retailers offer a selection of new comics on the first Saturday in May for FREE! They use it as a way to try and get people who have never tried reading a comic -or- haven't picked up a comic in years, to try a comic for free.) I present to you all a narrated version of Last year's FCBD story: The Tale of the Wise Weaver:





Narration: David Petersen
Music: Jon Sayles


My 2012 Free Comic Book Day Plans:
On Saturday May 5th I encourage you to seek out your local comic shop and pick up Archaia's AMAZING hardcover for Free Comic Book Day.
The book contains: 
-a Labryinth story by Cory Godbey, Ted Naifeh, & Adrianne Ambrose

-a Dapper Men story by Jim McCann & Janet Lee
-a Rust story by Royden Lepp
-a Cursed Pirate Girl story by Jeremy Bastian
-a Cow Boy story by Nate Cosby & Chris Eliopoulos
-and a Mouse Guard story by me.


This year I'll be happily signing books in two locations in New Hampshire & Massachusetts:
From 9:30am-12:30pm I'll be at Larry's Comics in Lowell, MA.
From 2pm-4pm I'll be at Jetpack Comics in Rochester, NH.
Both stores will have a special tip-in bookplate for the event ,which are in very limited quantity from my understanding, and can be seen to the right.

Not everyone knows about FCBD. If you do know & plan on attending, explain to to your friends/parents/teachers/colleagues who don't. There's a comic out there for every kind of reader, every age, every genre. Publishers & comic shops are working to find new readers with FCBD. A message I really want stressed by FCBD (and I think the Archaia's FCBD hardcover does a great job of this) is that comics are stories. Not just superheroes & guns*, but ANY & EVERY story that can be imagined. Everyone likes stories. There's no reason comics shouldn't find new readers
*For the record, Nothing wrong with Superhero comics. I like superheroes. I just don't want them to be the sole representation of what we are


Check back next week for a similar video treatment to this year's FCBD story: The Tale of Baldwin the Brave.



2012 Appearances:
FCBD: Jetpack Comics: May 5th
Heroes: June 22-24
San Diego Comic Con: July 11-15
Baltimore Comic Con: Sept 8-9
New York Comic Con: Oct 11-14
Detroit Fanfare: Oct 26-28

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be there in lowell to finally meet you! I'm excited to see this issue, and hopefully pick up the black axes I am missing!
DAB

Matt said...

Awesome video, David!
I never knew you were so good at making different voices and accents ;)
On a side note, will the new FCBD issue be available on Graphicly too? It's just that I'm going to have trouble getting hold of one of this years ones...

Thanks

DPetersen said...

DAB: Looking forward to it!

Matt: I don't know if Archaia will be getting it up on Graphicly right away or not (it's their call). However, next week you can check the blog for the video reading of this year's story if you missed grabbing a copy (though that won't help you with the other 5 non-MG stories in the book)

Anonymous said...

@DPetersen, it was so nice to meet you. Thank you for your advice about art colleges, and for nicely signing all the books I brought. My cousin Rachael is so excited about the book and cant wait for me to give it to her!
Thank you so much for the awesome experience
DAB/domodab

Blog Archive