Tuesday, August 27, 2024

TMNT 40th Anniversary Pinup

On July 10th a TMNT 40th Anniversary on-shot was released. I was asked by editors to contribute a pinup to mark the occasion (I'd similarly done one a decade ago for the 30th: http://davidpetersen.blogspot.com/2014/05/tmnt-30th-anniversary-tribute.html)

It was reading the early Eastman & Laird TMNT comics and playing the RPG that really cemented my desire of wanting to write and draw my own comics. The only other comics I'd read at that point were some older X-Men reprints (that had Arthur Adams covers, Dave Cockrum interiors, and John Bolton backup stories) and Archie comics that had a different artist every story––Kevin and Peter were doing something different, and seeing their names above the logo on the cover made me realize these guys were just making stuff up and drawing it––not a factory of creators contributing to a long-standing legacy brand.

Unfortunately due to timing, I didn't have time to draw a new pinup before the tight deadline for the 40th one-shot. But I did have some sketchcovers I inked (and scanned before painting) of each of the brothers. Since they'd never been published, I asked the editors if they minded if I assembled them into a group composition and colored them to include in the issue and luckily they agreed.

Below you can see each individual turtle's inks before coloring and assembly:






No comments:

Blog Archive