Monday, February 21, 2011

Gem Awards:
I am very happy to announce that Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard vol. 1 has won the Gem Award for Best 2010 Anthology! So I offer a huge thank you & congratulations to the contibutors: Jeremy Bastian, Ted Naifeh, Alex Sheikman, Sean Rubin, Alex Kain, Terry Moore, Gene Ha, Lowell Francis, Nate Pride, Guy Davis, Katie Cook, Jason Shawn Alexander, Craig Rousseau, Karl Kerschl, and Mark Smylie.

click here for Newsarama's coverage of the award announcement


June Alley Inn Model:Seeing the Gem announcement for Legends, I felt it would be a good time to share photos of my June Alley Inn model. I have shared a few photos of it before, but decided to make a gallery on my Facebook page* showing lots of angles of the model and with its various walls removed (click here for album). I made this model because I knew how important it was to make the setting for Legends as real as I could. I was introducing fifteen mouse characters the readers had never seen before and I needed their clothing, mugs, and even where they sat, as cues to which mouse they were. Seeing the mouse by the fire or the mouse under the painting of the ghost or the mouse near the stairs, would help identify the characters. With Legends of the Guard vol. 2 announced to be published after the Black Axe hardcover, I am very glad I made this model so durable, I'll be needing it again...
*Even without a Facebook account, you can view the album of photos

In future posts I plan to add to the Facebook gallery and show more angles of my other models.

Fan Art:
Ryan Horvath sent this fan art to me titled "Lieam with Totems". He wrote in the email:


Big fan of your work, both as an artist and a reader. I was out on some trails a
few months ago, spotted a tree I liked, came back to draw it and it eventually
turned into this. Hope you enjoy it.


I do! Thanks Ryan!

2011 Appearances
C2E2: March 18-20
Phoenix Comic Con: May 26-29
Cherry Capital Con: June 25-26
San Diego Comic Con: July 20-24
Baltimore Comic Con: Aug. 20-21
New York Comic Con: Oct. 14-16

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions on the award!! Legends defintaly deserved it!! I can't wait for the sencond and possibly the third!:) Any release date of Black axe two yet? And sorry on the loss of your uncle. I was so sorry to hear about that:(.
Thanks for all you do,
DAB

levithepirate said...

I love your models! What materials are you using to make them. I'm doing table arrangements for my wedding reception and this seems like a pretty fun way to map it all out and have a nice little keepsake of the wedding at the same time. :)

AlphaWolf said...

Congrats!! Thats awesome!! :) Can't wait for the Legends of the Guard two to come out. wow... the fanart this time is very good and confusing. I can't find the perspective.

Mayhem said...

Cracking model there David, to be honest if I was doing a similar thing to Legends, I'd be making a "map" to help remember where everyone was too!

Btw is issue #2 of Black Axe delayed? None of my usual places here report getting it in...

DPetersen said...

DAB: Thank you! I don't have release info on Black Axe 2 yet. It was proofed and sent to the printers earlier this month, so I don't anticipate it being too much longer before it gets to store shelves.

levithepirate: This is made all from chipboard (the hard brown back back of most drawing pads) bristol board and a mix of balsa and basswood scraps I bought from my local hardware store.

Blog Archive