Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Pride!

I know it's late into June to be doing a Pride post––but as the sentiment is something that should be year-round, I think it's still good.

An 11" x 17" print of this piece is available through my online store (ships rolled) and a portion of the profits will be donated to my local LGBTQ+ organizations/charities:
https://mouseguard.bigcartel.com/product/mouse-guard-pride-poster


After seeing the color-wheel art challenge, I realized (while flying to HEEROES CON) that I could line up Guardmice facing away from us so their cloaks had more prominence, in such a way to celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride. so I penciled L-R Saxon, Sienna, Rand, Lieam, Kenzie, & Sadie on copy paper scanned them all in, lined them up and made a few digital tweaks to correct drawing errors.

After I had the pencils sorted, I printed it out at taped it to the back of a sheet of Strathmore Bristol trimmed down to 14" x 6". On my Huion Lightpad I inked the piece using the printout underneath as a guide. I used Copic Multiliner pens (the 0.7 & 0.3 nibs) while chatting with viewers on my Twitch Stream: twitch.tv/davidpetersen (Monday & Wednesday 4-8pm east)



Next step was to start the coloring process with flat colors. I scanned the inks at a slightly higher resolution to allow for this getting blown up for the larger poster size. I don't have a saved sample palette for these characters, I tend to do it by eyeball and them make micro adjustments to compensate for what colors are right next to them (colors can look differently based on what colors they are next to).
The final render below was done using the dodge and burn tools 

No comments:

Blog Archive